Monday, May 15, 2017

Warrior Dynasty AX2 Hockey Gloves

Another piece of hockey gear that you should consider investing money in is a decent pair of hockey gloves. I've tried quite a few different brands, and they all have their pluses and minuses. Finding a good pair of gloves is important because that is what is between you and the stick. And the more you can feel and the more flexibility you have, the better.

As I was going through my local hockey shop, trying on the various gloves from the major manufacturers, one again I was surprised just how different all gloves feel and fit. And since everybody is different, there's lots of variety to chose from.
My LHS puts their gloves out for sale like many other shops do; most expensive gloves on top, getting less expensive the lower down the wall you look. Naturally someone on a budget would look low, and might even find what you're looking for there. But for me, the temptation to look higher up at the more expensive gloves could not be avoided. I found the higher up I went, the more comfortable they were, and the better made, especially in the palms. Once I hit a particular price point...around a hundred bucks...they all more or less evened out. But one pair I tried on struck me in particular.

Warrior Dynasty AX2

Warrior Dynasty AX2 15" hockey glove.

Putting my hand into the Warrior Dynasty AX2 glove was almost obscene. No other glove I tried felt like it. It molded to my hand and fingers like it was made for it.

The fingers and palm felt especially strong while still having sensitivity. 
They have a traditional fit, which means they are loose in the wrist to allow plenty of mobility. They grab me right around the knuckles and the back of the hand. The thumb is comfortable and not cumbersome.

Traditional 4-Roll design.
One thing that appealed to the over-50 part in me was the polygiene inner lining, which boasts being "odor free". Gloves get gnarly, and the stink doesn't stop if you ignore it. So preventing the stink is foremost on my mind. I figure something like the would help more than hurt:

My poor lighting doesn't do the yellow color justice.

The grip on the stick is smooth, well-formed, and doesn't force you to do anything weird with your fingers. The palms are thin enough to be lively, yet sturdy enough to last. The gloves allowed for all the mobility I could muster, and haven't let me down yet. The looks are great. I especially like the big "Warrior" letters, and overall a really beautiful piece of gear. I think of a nice hockey glove like a nice baseball glove. Once you try one, it's hard to play with cheap stuff again. And in this particular case the design and workmanship is so good that you really can't go wrong with them.

I didn't try the other gloves in the series, so I can't really compare them.

Here's an online video review that goes into more tech than I do: IceWarehouse

My guy at the local hockey shopped raved about them, saying that the local juniors team are wearing them, and they're not even sponsored.

They've lasted a half a season so far. I'm hoping they'll go at least two seasons more. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't, as there's virtually no sign of wear on the gloves outside of a bit of tape color rubbing off and a little bit of label ink on the inside of the thumb. Not a stitch out of place.

Tech Specs [from Warrior]:

  • Traditional volume fit balances protection, mobility and classic style
  • Durable Clarino™ tipped gussets with mesh fingers make for a Butter Soft game ready feel
  • WarLite impact protection with plastic inserts
  • Performance Clarino™ Authentic Pro Palm
  • WarTech performance fabric liner with Polygiene®keeps players dry and comfortably stink free

No comments:

Post a Comment